Last month, a Motorola employee promised that the DROID 2 Global would be getting an update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread by the end of the third quarter or sooner. Now it looks like Moto may be leaning closer to the “sooner” side of things, as the folks at Droid-Life have learned that the DROID 2 Global’s Gingerbread update is ready to go and that Moto is in the process of inviting select users to test the build of Android 2.3 this week. Verizon has finalized all of the info for the update, and you can find the support document with the full list of improvements and enhancements right here (PDF link). The list is also available below.
It’s worth noting that the Motorola DROID 2 isn’t included in this update, although the same Moto employee that guaranteed the update to 2.3 for the DROID 2 Global also said that the DROID 2 would be updated by the end of Q3 or sooner, as well. As for you DROID 2 Global owners, we should be hearing more about the update and when it’ll be available to regular Joe Schmoes like you and me soon, so stay tuned!
Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
- Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
Email and Messaging
- Sporadic issues with unintended recipient list corrected for text, picture, video and audio multimedia messages.
- Exchange ActiveSync calendar events created on the device will now push to your PC calendar.
- POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
New ActiveSync Email Policy Support for the following:
- Data encryption for both the internal and SD card memory.
- Require manual synchronization while roaming.
- Allow HTML email.
Additional Device Features
- Improvements in stability prevent lockups, resets and force close errors.
- Bluetooth® devices will now select the correct audio recording level for optimal voice capture and alert you when your audio level is too low.
- Improved battery life while using Bluetooth.
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
- Reset Backup Assistant under Manage Applications menu.
- Enhanced connectivity when roaming in GSM/UMTS networks (Europe and India).
- Improved battery life during Wi-Fi use.
Preloaded Apps and Programs
- Google Books
- Amazon MP3 Store
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2
- V CAST Apps